The more we learn…..
I have had many friends, family, patients, and community members reach out to me with this question: What’s the point of getting the vaccine if everyone still has to follow the same rules?
This question doesn’t take into account the nuance of vaccination and the fact scientists and physicians fully expected to change their guidelines once they gathered more information about the vaccine. While know all three vaccines are equally and highly effective against COVID-related preventing hospitalization and death, the details on preventing disease spread were less clear. Now that we have more data in addition to the robust clinical trials, the CDC has been able to issue the new guideliens for the fully vaccinated.
People are considered fully vaccinated against COVID 2 weeks after their second dose of Moderna or Pfizer or 2 weeks after their dose of Johnson and Johnson vaccine.
People who are fully vaccinated can safely:
- HUG GRANDMA!! Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
- ATTEND SMALL FAMILY GATHERINGS!! Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
- GET A FREE PASS FROM QUARANTINE!! Refrain from quarantine and testing following a known exposure if asymptomatic
People who are fully vaccinated should still follow these recommendations:
- Take precautions in public like wearing a well-fitted mask and physical distancing
- Wear masks, practice physical distancing, and adhere to other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people who are at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease or who have an unvaccinated household member who is at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease
- Wear masks, maintain physical distance, and practice other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people from multiple households
- Avoid medium- and large-sized in-person gatherings
- Get tested if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms
- Follow guidance issued by individual employers
- Follow CDC and health department travel requirements and recommendations
These recommendations may change in the future once we have more robust evidence on the effectiveness of the vaccines on preventing transmission of COVID19. That’s how science works: We study, analyze, learn, educate. Rinse. Repeat.
Much like the influenza vaccine, we are not vaccinating against COVID to prevent illness. We are vaccinating to prevent hospitalization and death.
In the end, the most effective and safest way we will stop this pandemic is to vaccinate everyone who qualifies to get the vaccine.
When you are able to get the vaccine due to age, occupation, or chronic condition, do not worry about which vaccine you will get. The most important thing is to get that shot in your arm.
We aim to be the best pediatric practice in the state of Indiana. If your child is not yet part of the Culver Pediatrics family, sign up in the email opt-in below to learn more about our boutique pediatrician services.
YES!!!!....Click on the video for the answer. We aim to be the best pediatric practice in Marshall County, Lake Maxinkuckee area, and the state of Indiana. If your child is not yet part of the Culver Pediatrics family, sign up in the email opt-in below to learn...
There will be tears when I see her.... The last time I saw my mother was Thanksgiving 2019. I have never gone this long without hugging her. I have never gone one whole year in which I did not see her. This is an especially painful fact because after my father died...
We are more than a clinic....We had a media heavy week! Part of our mission is to improve the lives of all children in this area. We will use our platform to advocate for social, economic, and racial justice. First, my Op Ed on the benefits of paying Hoosiers a...
Improved mental health for parents and children.... It's been one year since our children were sent home from school, and I cetainly was delighfully naive enough to think that they would likley be back in a few weeks. Denial can be traitrous friend. The issue of...
The one you can get FIRST.....I have had many friends, family, patients, and community members reach out to me with this question: Which COVID vaccine should I get? Some are concerned enough to wait until a site that has what they perceive as the "best" vaccine has...
Our concierge model gives us freedoms other pediatric practices don't have.....I often get asked if we allow more than one parent or guardian with the patient during clinic appointments. Click on the video for the answer. We aim to be the best pediatric...
No one is coming after Dr. Seuss.....As a literacy-focused pediatrician, I felt compelled to clarify the facts surrounding the Dr. Seuss Enterprises’ decision to halt publication of six of their books. I believe families should read books together every day. Books are...
Taking a public health success story even further.....We have launched new video series: Ask Your Big Sister Who Just Happens To Be A Highly-experienced, Board-certified Pediatrician. In this series, I will answer frequently asked questions that I get from patients,...
Announcing a new video series.....We are launching a new video series: Ask Your Big Sister Who Just Happens To Be A Highly-experienced, Board-certified Pediatrician. In this series, I will answer frequently asked questions that I get from patients, parents, friends,...